Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Coconut and Walnuts Slice


This coconut and walnuts slice is my family's new favourite besides the nutella brownie.  I like coconut slice as it is similar to the coconut tart we have in Hong Kong.  I have been making it using desiccated coconut and it always please my family.  That's changed when Maryanne comes to visit me and brings along her coconut slice made with shredded coconut with walnuts.  My son says that I have to get the recipe from her and my husband just keep saying how nice it tastes.  I find this recipe from the cooking magazine and modify it a little to make it quite close to Maryanne's.

I have knitted a baby jumper and two kids hats for the Guardian Angel Knitting Program.  They give me a pin as a thank you gift.  My hats aren't as good as it's shown in the knitting book, hopefully my knitting skill will improve and I'll knit better hats next year for the program.  I think I've done good to keep the needed kids warm and that's good enough.



Coconut and Walnuts Slice

100g butter, soften
3/4 cup caster sugar
3 eggs
3/4 cup plain flour
1/2 cup self-raising flour
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup raspberry jam
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup desiccated coconut
3/4 cup shredded coconut


  1. Preheat oven to 180c.  Line a 20cmx30cm lamington pan with baking paper.
  2. Beat butter, 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy.  Add 1 egg, sifted flour and milk and mix until well combined.  Press mixture over base of the pan.  Spread jam over mixture.
  3. Whisk the remaining egg and sugar in a bowl.  Stir in desiccated coconut.  Spread the coconut mix over the jam.  Then sprinkle walnuts and shredded coconut over the top.
  4. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until light golden.
Source: adopted and modified from Super Food Ideas April 2011 Issue 124





2 comments: