Sunday, June 24, 2012

Thai Style Pumpkin Soup


There is no other time I would eat pumpkin so often except in winter!  I bake it with vegetable in roast, putting it as topping for pizza or as a filling for tart...and my favourite is pumpkin soup!  There are many recipes for different pumpkin soup putting in bacon, curry or turmeric powder, adding sweet potato etc.  And this Thai Style is my new favourite.  I had this recipe last year from a magazine and finally got the chance to make it.  The coconut milk makes such a difference and I love the spice from the curry paste.  The original recipe require blending pesto with coriander roots, lemon zest and juice but I have omitted this process by adding coriander powder instead.  That's the way to do it when you don't want to get out to the garden on a cold night to pick up the coriander root!

Thai Style Pumpkin Soup
(serve 2-4)

1 cereal bowl of cut pumpkin
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tsp ginger, finely chopped
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp Thai red curry paste (put less if you don't want it too spicy)
1 cup water
1/2 cup lite coconut milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
coriander to garnish

Method:

  1. Heat a little oil in the saucepan, saute onion and stir for a minute.  Add ginger, coriander powder and curry paste, stir through.  
  2. Add in pumpkin and water, reduce heat and let it simmer till pumpkin is cooked.  Cool slightly.
  3. Blend the pumpkin mixture till smooth in a blender.  Return to pan and add coconut milk and lemon juice then warm through.  Seasoned with salt and garnish with coriander leaves.  



9 comments:

  1. I love pumpking soup! Your's looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer your version of pumpkin soup... with lots of exotic flavours. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the flavors of thai combined with creamy yummy pumpkin! Delicious as always from you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks creamy and nice. I would love it, even it's summer here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I replied back to you on my blog, and totally forgot to click over to yours...so sorry about that!

    Love your creamy and fresh Thai style pumpkin soup, with all the perfectly combined spices that make it so tasty. Can never have enough pumpkin, all year round, not just for fall!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for stopping by dear..
    btw ..hing is available in all INdian stores by the name asafetida pwd..it enhances digestion & imparts good flavor to the dish..
    do try & lemme know..:)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the explanation, I'll see if I can get the powder. :)

      Delete
  7. comfort soup indeed during the cold wintry days..nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thai style? Pretty cool to add curry into pumpkin soup. Something interesting for me :)

    ReplyDelete