Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Hokkien Prawn Noodle Soup with Homemade Egg Noodles





I always love noodle soup especially in winter and I would drink all the soup from the bowl. I love noodle soup from different Asian countries. As I grow up in Hong Kong, prawn wonton noodles soup is my most favourite soup. Then it would be Japanese ramen, Vietnamese pho, Thai Tom Yum seafood noodles soup.... After marrying my Malaysian husband, I discover more delicious noodles soup such as laksa, curry noodles, Ipoh chicken noodles soup to name a few and this Hokkien prawn noodles soup.

My mother-in-law gave me some of the Hokkine noodle paste from her last visit and I make it with some homemade noodles. It's a bit messy to make noodles but it's fun and rewarding. This noodles always goes well with Japanese Tonkasu ramen recipe.

Stay warm and happy cooking!

Hokkien Prawn Noodle Soup with Homemade Egg Noodles
(serve 2)

Ingredients:

For the soup:
1/2 pack 250g LN Little Nyonya Hokkien prawn noodle paste
6 cups water or chicken stock
1 chicken fillet cut into pieces
6 prawns, shelled
salt and pepper to taste

For the noodles:
1 1/2 cups bread flour or oo flour
3 egg yolks
1 egg
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon oil

To serve:
1 cup cooked rice vermicelli noodles
1 Boiled egg, boiled for 3 minutes
bean sprouts
Kung Kong (a type of Chinese veg that has a straw looking stem) or Chinese Chives

Method:

  1. Mix the flour and salt into a bowl, make a well in middle and add the eggs and yolk and oil. Knead till smooth, add a little water if it is still too dry. Fridge 10-15 minutes.
  2. Set up the pasta machine at the widest setting at 2nd setting. Divide the dough into half. Roll the dough over into thin pastry. Dust with flour to prevent sticking. Repeat with the other dough.
  3. Use an angel hair cutter to cut the pastry into noodles. toss in more flour.
  4. Boil noodles to al dente and refresh into cold water and drain well. 
  5. Place the egg noodles and rice vermicelli noodles into 2 large noodle bowls.
  6. Add water to a saucepan and 1/2 packet of the noodle paste and let it boil. Add the chicken pieces and seasoned with salt and pepper. Cook the prawns, bean sprouts and kung kong in the soup and use a ladle to put them onto the noodles. Pour hot soup over and garnish with half a boiled egg for each bowl. Enjoy!

Note: There is enough left over noodles to make 2 more serves or you can use it for stir fry noodles for another meal.





3 comments:

  1. wow homemade noodles! It looks so very appetizing and moreish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can never resist a bowl of good prawn noodle! Handmade? I'm impressed, dear! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Veronica! I'm impressed that your noodles are made from scratch! I wonder one bowl of this noodle is enough for me :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete